Important High School Admissions Information
GRADE 8 FAMILIES: HIGH SCHOOL INFO SESSION FOR PARENTS
District 6 High School Info
High School Virtual Events
On January 11th from 5:30 PM - 6:30 PM, we will be hosting a virtual high school information session for 8th-grade families via zoom. Grade 8 Parents/Guardians and students are both welcomed to join. Click on the link below to register in advance for the information session. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the information session.
Registration Link: https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZ0qf-ugpzkqHNA5KuJDXu6ljW1DodDJSVS1
- MySchool Welcome Letters were mailed to families the week of December 9, 2020
- The welcome letter includes instructions to create a MySchools account including a unique creation code
- If you have not received a welcome letter in the mail, please reach out to Ms. Chen or Ms. McCullough
- We highly recommend that all families create a MySchools account because...
- You can submit your child's high school application through MySchools
- It is a great tool to research all high schools across NYC
- You can register for the Specialized High School Admissions Test (SHSAT) and LaGuardia Auditions
- You will receive your child's high school results on MySchools the moment it is released to families
- Applications are open the week of January 18, 2021
- The deadline for families to submit applications is the week of February 22, 2021
- You can start, edit, and submit your application all on MySchools
Specialized High Schools
- Registration for the Specialized High School Admissions Test (SHSAT) and LaGuardia High School auditions is now open
- Please see the below auditions section for more information on LaGuardia High School
- The last day to register for the SHSAT is January 15, 2021
- SHSAT test dates will begin on January 27, 2021. More details will be shared in the coming weeks.
- You can register for the SHSAT through MySchools or contact Ms. Chen or Ms. McCullough
- New! This year, 8th graders will take the SHSAT at 187
- New! Families will indicate their specialized high school preference order at the time of registration for the SHSAT through MySchools
- All auditions will be held virtually through the Virtual Audition Submission Tool
- Details and instructions for families to use the Virtual Audition Submission Tool in the coming weeks
- Find out more information here
Geographic Priorities and Eligibility
- Past admissions based on geographic districts and catchment areas will be eliminated this year.
- Find out more information here.
High school programs that use the “screened” admissions method have the option to continue using this admissions method for the current school year, with the following changes:
- Final course grades from the 2018-2019 school year.
- Marking period course grades from fall 2019 through February 2020.
- Standardized test scores from spring 2019.
- Screened programs cannot use any of the following data to evaluate applicants for admission:
- Attendance and punctuality from any school year.
- Course grades from spring 2020.
- Standardized test scores from spring 2020.
- Screened programs that used “internal assessments” (interviews, academic portfolios, school-administered exams, and online admissions activities, this does not include auditions) in the past have the option to continue using their internal assessment for the current school year. Screened programs that did not use internal assessments in the past cannot begin using internal assessments this year.
Educational Option (Ed. Opt.) Programs
- This year high schools will use a composite score of students’ prior years’ performance in the four core courses: English, math, science, social studies:
- Average of each student’s final course grades from the 2018-2019 school year.
- Average of each student’s marking period course grades from fall 2019 through February 2020.
- Standardized test scores from spring 2019.
- Based on this composite score, students will be assigned an Ed. Opt. category, and a proportional number of offers will be made to applicants from each category for each individual Ed. Opt. program:
- The top third of students citywide will be in the “High” category. One third of offers to each Ed. Opt. program will be made to applicants in the “High” category.
- The middle third of students citywide will be in the “Middle” category. One third of offers to each Ed. Opt. program will be made to applicants in the “Middle” category.
- The bottom third of students citywide will be in the “Low” category. One third of offers to each Ed. Opt. program will be made to applicants in the “Low” category.
Virtual Tours/Open House
- All high schools are encouraged to offer virtual opportunities for families to learn about their schools; many are offering the following information on their own school websites:
- Schedule and links to any live or recorded events (or links where families can register for the events
- Videos and/or other media
- Contact information for families who want to speak with or write to school staff.
- We compiled a list of open house dates and links for families on a live google document here.